Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Montreal Burger Report: Le Saint Bock & L'Amere à Boire Part 5

Howdy!

Le Saint Bock & L’Amere à Boire Part 5 (13:35); (MP3 20MB / FLAC 145MB / Ogg Vorbis 11MB / Stream)



In the final part of the Le Saint Bock & L'Amere à Boire episode, Chris 'Zeke' Hand and Ed "Blork" Hawco eat their burgers and in the end are not overly impressed. Blork's burger had a dirty grease flavor that was so strong he didn't even notice the bacon. In the end, the talk turns back to beer, which in this case delivered more pleasure than the burgers.

Note the grill marks

Blork's Verdict


The more I ate my burger, the more I noticed a foul taste that seems to have come from a greasy grill that hasn't been cleaned. In the end, it was the dominant flavor, and it left a bad taste in my mouth that I could still sense the next day. Perhaps it was a bad night, because this place's reputation would sink like a lead canoe if all of the burgers tasted like that. Otherwise, it was a reasonably good sandwich, but not remarkable. The kind of thing you snarf down on a beery night out because you know you ought to eat something. Since I have been known to have the occasional beery night out, I might give this place another try -- just to see if that dirty taste is still there. But ultimately, L'Amere à Boire makes my beer list, but not my burger list.

Zeke's Verdict


As I said, initially I was anticipating something extremely good especially after reading the all the rave reviews on Chowhound about the Lamb Burger at L'Amere à Boire (one, two, three, four). Unfortunately what I didn't realize at the time was that they were all written by the same person. I should have known better, I didn't enjoy my lamb burger or my beer at L'Amere à Boire at all, and unlike Blork, I'm not likely to go back. Thankfully we had started the night at Le Saint Bock where the beer was delicious and the burger menu looked to be the same.

Le Saint Bock
Address: 1749 Saint Denis
Phone: (514) 680-8052

L'Amère à boire
Address: 2049 Saint Denis
Phone: (514) 282-7448


View The Montreal Burger Report Map in a larger map

(Montreal Burger Report: Le Saint Bock & L'Amere à Boire Part 1, Montreal Burger Report: Le Saint Bock & L'Amere à Boire Part 2, Montreal Burger Report: Le Saint Bock & L'Amere à Boire Part 3. Montreal Burger Report: Le Saint Bock & L'Amere à Boire Part 4)